Sunday, June 28, 2015

June 27, 2015

I've done a lot of reading online today. I saw several scriptures repeatedly quoted in response to the Supreme Court decision declaring marriage equality is a constitutional right in all 50 states.
I've seen references to Sodom and Gomorrah today, but somehow this one didn't come up:
Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. (Ezekiel 16:49 NIV)

That one hits a little close to home. Because today I threw out a kitchen garbage bag full - literally - of food from not one but TWO freezers at our house. Food that I bought but apparently had so little need for that it expired before we ever got around to eating it.
So maybe I was a bit more sensitive to another oft-quoted scripture today:
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10 NIV)
How can someone who hoards food in two freezers and throws it away rather than eat it NOT be considered greedy?
I've read today that God is grieved by the Supreme Court decision. But I can't help but wonder how He feels every day about the contents of my trash can. And my pantry. And my closet. There are five verses in the bible that address homosexuality. Compared to how many verses about caring for the poor? Somewhere in the neighborhood of 300.
As Americans, we are allowed to feel what we feel - and we are free to say what we want to say. But as Christians, we are advised to first get rid of the log in our own eye before we can see well enough to address the speck in someone else's.
I've read a lot today from Christians writing about other people's sins. Which is something I'd have a hard time doing. Because there are children in Lee County who went to bed hungry tonight as a big bag of wasted food thaws in my trash can outside.
As for the Supreme Court ruling, the Bible tells us in 1 John 4:7 that love is of God. To me, that means that wherever there is love, there is God. I trust that He is big enough to work out all the other stuff. I n the meantime, I know He has plenty of work still to do on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment